I offer safe and therapeutic fertility massage to create an optimum environment for conception. The Nurturing the Mother® Fertility Massage program is a combination of specific massage techniques Claire Marie Miller developed through her own experience of consciously conceiving her daughter Jessica Hope in 1984. The techniques Claire used in her conception also include using fertility awareness, cleansing therapies, fertility reflexology, and visualizations.
I can work with couples who are planning to conceive naturally or who are using assisted reproductive technology. I can also educate the couple in fertility massage techniques so they may do this session with each other. This will serve to strengthen their bonds as they enter into creating and expanding their family. Yes, this massage protocol is for men, too!
This supportive massage protocol includes the following:
- Cranial Sacral Techniques are simple energy holds that may open the central channel and align the head and pelvis.
- Jaw and TMJ Release work to open the mouth, viewed by some alternative therapies as reflex areas for the hips and deep pelvis.
- Colon Cleansing includes topical castor oil packs and deep large and small intestine massage to support cleansing and increase circulation in the digestive system for better nutritional assimilation. The image of creating healthy soil buy turning it over and aerating it for optimal growth is the vision for the aspect of the protocol.
- Pelvic Friction may break up adhesions at or near the reproductive organs.
- Reflexology for Fertility Support may stimulate hormonal glands and reproductive areas to increase the energy flow through those areas, creating greater health and balance.
- Acupressure to work the bladder meridians in the back to open the channel for conception support.
- Pelvic Rocking to loosen the hips and lower back and to simulate dancing, thought to be a fertility enhancer by cultures around the world.
Knowing when ovulation occurs is necessary when trying to conceive. A woman’s body will tell her when it’s time. Here are two excellent resources for learning about menstrual cycles, the anatomy of conception, and how to read the body’s signs:
- Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler, MPH
- More resources can be found on the Links page
(If I’m a bit far for you to get to, please visit Claire’s Find a Therapist page. Put in your zip code and select “Fertility Massage” under Therapist Type.)
OK – But what’s the success rate?
There are no clinical studies for this massage protocol. Anecdotal evidence is made available on Claire’s website. My personal success rate is 60%.
With all alternative and complimentary healthcare, the client should consult their own healthcare provider. This is not intended to replace any other traditional healthcare that the client is receiving.
I am available to offer safe and therapeutic pregnancy massage, labor support massage instruction, postpartum massage, and newborn massage instruction. The Nurturing the Mother® program includes massage for each trimester and relief for the common discomforts the mother may be experiencing. I am also trained in Labor Support Massage, in which I can train the mother’s partner how to give massage throughout the labor. As the mother returns to her pre-pregnancy state, my postpartum massage techniques will aid in the realignment and the recovery of her body. I can also offer guidance to new parents to give newborn massage.
Research has shown that pregnancy massage decreases blood pressure, decreases stress hormones, SHORTENS LABOR TIME, and helps restore the body in the postpartum phase. This research is documented by the Touch Research Institute of Miami, Florida and the work of Tiffany Fields, PhD.
Gentle and nurturing, this massage focuses on the needs of the mother. Massage can relieve the discomforts associated with pregnancy. It increases the mother’s awareness to her areas of tension. Massage enhances the relaxation experience. This is an important practice before the birth experience.
- Helps relieve pain and discomfort
- Aids in postural realignment
- Relieves minor edema by aiding venous return
- Fetus receives gentle massage and relaxation benefits
- Teaches awareness of body tension patterns
Visit my Links page for several pregnancy resources, some practical, some fun!
Massage in the postpartum period helps bring the body into its pre-pregnancy alignment. A massage within the first week of postpartum feels wonderful. It relieves sore and achy muscles. Most effective if done within the first 6 weeks post-delivery.
- Supports the realigning process, with a focus on the pelvis and ribs
- Supports the process of returning the uterus to its normal size
- Releases shoulder, neck, and arm tension from the care and feeding of an infant
- Helps relieve tension from the birth process
- Helps the mother regain a sense of balance
Breastfeeding support resources can be found on my Links page.